Sunday, June 13, 2010

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

The ground shook today after church; and I don't think it was because of the Holy Spirit. Several other of the new AETs have said that they've felt some mild tremors in the early morning hours since arriving two months ago. And I'd heard rhetorically before coming over that Japan experiences at least one earthquake every day. But somehow, despite my inability to sleep well until getting my bed last weekend, I've not felt a single one. Until today. A 6.1 or 6.2 magnitude quake occurred off the coast of Honshu, the main island of Japan, a little after 12:30pm local time. It couldn't have lasted more than 10 seconds (if that); and no one felt the need to evacuate the building, although I immediately stood up so that I could do so. (Pictures from last week of the giant sink hole in Guatemala immediately flashed through my mind, although that sink hole was not caused by an earthquake.) In fact, everyone remained very calm; and the only thing that anyone said was to move out from underneath the ceiling fans. The feeling of the earthquake was scary. But I don't think I can say that it's more scary than evacuating to the basement when my house/apartment/school has been in the path of a tornado. In fact, it may be a little less scary because at least the sky stays blue instead of changing to a creepy green.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Mom said...

You like to experience a lot of different things at least once. O.K. you've had this one - no need for a repeat!

christina joy said...

hi.

i miss you.

the end.

my world's an earthquake here because stephanie's moving away too. :-( i'm happy for her but sad for me.