Friday, August 19, 2011

Summer Training Is Oishii (Yummy)!

Today we completed our final day of summer training. While there were many great presentations throughout its eight days, the cultural aspects of training were most enjoyable for me. This year we made pottery, learned how to write our addresses in kanji (Chinese characters), made potato stamps, learned about old ways of maintaining the home, and made desserts. (No, N.P. and I didn't plan to be matchy-matchy for our cooking lesson.) If you've been reading my blog for the past year, then you remember that last year's food lesson was making sushi rolls, something most of us had never done. This year we again learned how to make something new -- traditional Japanese sweets made with anko (red bean paste). While anko is unappealing to many foreigners, I actually like it. It's an indescribable flavor, since it's unlike anything I'd eaten prior to moving to Japan. But it's only slightly sweet, since Japanese sweets contain much less sugar than American and European sweets. And it's found in a variety of desserts.

The first sweet that we made was a flower blossom. While the pink of the flower was not supposed to be variegated as mine ended up, I was quite pleased with my first attempt.

Unfortunately, my second sweet was less successful than my flower. Don't you think it looks more like a turtle than a maple leaf?

Until next time...



4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! I looked at the pictures first and definitely thought the second one was a turtle before I read your post.

Rebecca said...

Christy, apparently manual dexterity skills weren't handed out on the day I was born since both my pottery and potato stamp didn't fare much better.

Mom said...

I remembered reading something in your blog about red bean xxx and was thinking it was jelly. See now that it was red bean paste. Had lunch w/Cheryl & Mavis today. Cheryl had Japanese house guests recently. When they returned to Japan, one of them sent her a thank you of red bean jelly. She's willing to pass it on to you!

MamaRose said...

HEY, GIRL/WOMAN--haven't written you in quite some time--STILL MISS & LOVE YOU!!!!!!

I think your desserts look pretty & WISH I could try & eat them--to see how they taste.

(Except I've 'lost' my senses of taste & smell since last Fall, so I've lost quite a bit of weight--and, don't eat/like as many 'sweet' things as I used to--surprise, huh??!!!!!)

Are you coming back to KS any time soon???? We'd LOVE to see you & catch up!!!!!! LOVE YOU, Rosemary