Monday, March 7, 2011

It's more than a t.

Being a Protestant Christian, I never realized how much the Sign of the Cross has shaped some foreign non-Christians' understanding of Christianity. Granted, Protestant Christians don't have as distinctive a worship gesture as do Catholic Christians. And my lack of realization probably says more about me than I intend it to, since it may signify that I rarely attempt to look at the world through another person's eyes. But I find it very interesting that every time I mention to my Japanese teachers something that I did at or with my kyoukai (church), they cross themselves. So that presents the question, What do I presume to understand about other people's religions based on something as simple and as non-revealing as a gesture?

Until next time...

No comments: