Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Nibankari (Aftermath)

**If you're looking for my Jishin! (Earthquake!) post, please scroll down. 

The aftermath of the earthquake has been quite stressful. However, my friends and I have all been looking out for each other. So it has made this ordeal much less intimidating.

Not knowing for how long we'd be without utilities, C.G. and I decided that we would weather the earthquake aftermath together. The first decision of weathering an unknown number of days without water, which affects toilet usage, was to assign one apartment the small potty toilet and the other apartment the big potty toilet. Lucky for me she designated me the keeper of the small potty toilet!

The second decision of not knowing when we would get running water again involved us going in search for water. Japan is a nation that has vending machines on almost every corner. Near my apartment are seven within a two-minute walk. But with no electricity, they were inoperable. (Apparently in times of crisis, one vending machine company allows for its machines' contents to be accessed when there is no power. But we didn't know this at the time.) And the kombini were closed. So we decided to walk to the city's education research office, which is located near my apartment, to check in. On the way there, we stumbled across a warehouse that was selling cases of drinks for ¥1100. (A drink from a vending machine can cost ¥150.) Amazingly, the warehouse wasn't taking advantage of people's desperation for water by charging ridiculously high prices. Unfortunately, they also weren't rationing. So C.G. and I, though we stood in line, were unable to buy any drinks. We met one of the Japanese families from church in the line. We all hugged each others' necks and made sure that everyone was okay before C.G. and I headed off to the education research office with two of their onigiri (rice balls) and some cans of coffee that they refused to let us turn down. (Literally, one of the daughters shoved four cans of coffee into my coat pockets. And though C.G. had already accepted two cans of coffee, the mother tossed another one into her purse as we were walking away.) Upon arriving at the education research office to let the staff know that we were okay, we were able to use a working toilet, wash our hands, and get 10 liters of water.

As the day went on, we noticed people standing in really long lines at kombini, at a grocery store, at a gas station, and at a home center. We were struck by how polite and patient everyone was being in spite of the horrible situation they now found themselves in. C.G. had told me the story from her walk home on Friday of seeing people standing in line at a kombini whose clerks were selling goods through a broken window in order to manage the crowd. Nobody stormed the locked doors to force them open. Instead, they waited patiently for their turn to make a purchase. Through all of this, we've witnessed only one occasion when someone tried to line jump for gasoline. No one has been yelling, pushing, or rioting in their panic. And the third decision we arrived at is if anyone ever has to weather a natural disaster, Japan is the place in which to do it.

Fourth, C.G. and I decided to combine our food resources. While we've not eaten luxuriously or even gotten full at each meal as a result of sharing our food, we have been good at helping each other ration what we do have in order to make it stretch as far as possible. This includes what we already had in our apartments as well as what we found at a fresh produce market that was set up near church on Sunday. We've shared with each other and with K.M. and A.H., two people who opened their apartments to us on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights while we waited for our utilities to come back on. And at church on Sunday, other friends shared their food with us and invited us back to their apartment for a meal, since their utilities already had been turned back on.

Due to our extreme fatigue (ten hours of sleep in a four-day period), we've found great hilarity in some of the things we've said. But we've also tried to find the humor in the situation in order to keep ourselves from dwelling on the magnitude of what is happening all around us. At A.H.'s apartment, her refrigerator had purged itself of its contents during the earthquake before closing its door, which made me think of the armoire in Beauty and the Beast which defends itself against invaders by vomiting its owner's clothing onto the attackers. And as A.H.'s freezer didn't feel as threatened (or perhaps because it opens with a drawer rather than a door), its contents were spared. So once we'd washed the dishes, we decided that the freezer was the safest, albeit coldest, place to protect them in case of an aftershock sending things toppling again, which had happened to our friend N.P.

The utilities at my apartment came back on Monday, where I am now happy to spend my time since my school has told me to stay home until Friday's graduation, as there is no work for me to do there. While I plan to stay on top of what the latest news is saying about the nuclear reactors, in order to minimize my stress, I plan to treat the next two days as a staycation, watching movies, catching up on American TV shows, and doing anything that might temporarily free my mind from worry about what is happening and what decision I should make next.

Until next time...

3 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Hi Rebecca, thanks for the link on Facebook to your blog. I didn't know you were writing one before this. I can't even imagine what it is like for you and all the other people in Japan right now. We see all of the footage and images on the news and it is unbelievable. So thankful for your safety and glad you have friends you can weather through the storm with. Thank you for keeping us updated. God's richest blessings on you. You are in our prayers.
Love,
Tammy

Unknown said...

Tammy and Robin are leading our Beth Moore study of The Beloved Disciple on Sunday nights. You will be prayed for, my friend!

joy said...

I am soooo incredibly thankful for you my friend! I love you!