Saturday, July 3, 2010

Japanese bakeries

As I mentioned in a previous post, Japanese bakeries could go head-to-head, or perhaps I should say bread-to-bread, with French bakeries and be a strong contender in the battle. For a country that consumes exorbitant quantities of rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and regularly all three within the same 24-hour period), Japan (or at least the city in which I live) has a remarkable number of high-quality bakeries. And fortunately for me, there's a Dutch-named one right down the street next to the laundromat. I'd stopped in a couple previous occasions to buy something to snack on while drying my clothes; but doing so was as much for the ¥100 coins I hoped to get as change for the dryers as it was for the food itself. But when last Saturday K.H., a new friend from church who had stayed over the night before after our late return from The Hard Rock Cafe, and I ate at the bakery before going to the station for her to catch a train home, I discovered my new Saturday morning tradition - a leisurely breakfast/brunch with people-watching followed by Bible study.

In these two visits, I noticed that most people who frequent the bakery don't eat in, despite this being the rare bakery with a dining area. Judging by the amount of pastry and bread purchases they make, they must leave because they're a) taking things home to the family, b) making purchases to last them the weekend, or c) too embarrassed to let others see how much they're planning to eat. ;~) So today when I went for the second visit of my newly-found ritual, I was able to choose the best seat in the dining room with full view of the door and the shop while I enjoyed my cheese, ham, and onion tarts, berry cheesecake, and iced coffee. (I took a photo with my phone camera to show you what I was able to enjoy; but I can't get it off my phone without paying a high fee. So as soon as I get a USB cable to transfer the photo to my computer, I'll update this post with that photo as well as one of the shop itself. Or I'll just have to make another visit and take my real camera instead!)

My dad and his wife have a similar tradition - eating breakfast at the same restaurant each day for the past several years - and have been able to establish good relationships with the staff at the restaurant. And I found myself wishing that I possessed the spiritual gift of speaking in tongues so that I could not only tell them how delicious their food is but also so that I could get to know them. But since speaking in tongues is likely not a present-day spiritual gift and there's no urgent need for me to suddenly know another language like was present on the day of Pentecost, I guess I'll have to learn Japanese the hard way. And as Japanese is proving harder to learn than any other language I've studied, it's going to be some time before I'm able to say anything other than おいしい (oishii - yummy) to the staff.

Until next time...

UPDATE (7/10/10): As promised, a picture of the breakfast of champions, although this picture doesn't do justice to the meal's yummy goodness.


Below is a picture of the bakery itself. Although I don't know this to be true, I think that the bakery owner(s) may live above the store, since the upstairs level looks to be residential. I don't know if the woman who was at the register when I paid for my meal was the owner or just an employee. But she graciously told me that my Japanese was very good. If only that were true. I really wanted to talk with her, not that she had the time. The bakery was super busy today, which I hope means that they'll be around for quite a while!

8 comments:

Mom said...

The automatic post notification hasn't come through to my e-mail yet, but I went to your blog site just to check for an update. Shouldn't have done that until after having breakfast. Now the appetite has been whetted, so it's off to see what's in the cupboard. I'm afraid your selection was much better than what I'll find.

Unknown said...

Ran into Darren Thursday when I went to get my toes done. He was getting a haircut. It was good to catch up.

I spent the 4th in Dallas, met some new friends, celebrated Rachel's birthday as well as the countries, got a massage, did some shopping and ate ALOT!!! From the foreign side, I ate one meal at a Greek restaurant and another at an Italian followed by real Gelato! Yummy!

Keep up the posts!

Rebecca said...

Christy, it took me a moment to figure out how you could have run into Darren at the toe place, since I was remembering us going to the one near Jason's Deli. What did you have put on your toes this time?

I would love some Greek/Mediterranean food (Gyros! Hummus! Baklava!) or better Italian food options here. I like Japanese food. But eating it every day wears a little thin for someone who appreciates a variety of cuisines.

Rebecca said...

Mom, my pantry is understocked as well. The bakery's location being just down the street probably will prove to be my downfall.

Mom said...

Rebecca, I don't know how big the freezer is in your new fridge. A woman at real estate continuing ed class today told me she buys French onion soup at Costco (frozen food area) and it is really good. She nukes it for about 7 minutes (if you have a nuker). Has good cheese on top, etc. I know how much you like FOS. If it's not too hot for soup now, you might give it a try the next time you go to Costco. Her stepson & family were stationed in Japan -- they talked about the good bread over there.

Rebecca said...

Mom, in the U.S. this weather is most assuredly too hot for soup. But soup is a daily part of school lunch. And despite the heat, I've been craving homemade chicken noodle soup. So I'll be sure to look for FOS the next time I head to Costco. Thanks!

christina joy said...

that bakery food looks amazing!

i miss your face! and just your general presence in my life really.

hugs.

christina

Unknown said...

I bet that was hilarious to think of Darren at City Nails. My toes are currently royal blue with a baseball and bat on them... Oh so patriotic in a subtle way.