Saturday, July 24, 2010

Who's that smell?

Scent is one of the easiest ways to trigger memories. I'm sure evolutionary biologists explain it as how the brain developed during our progression from apes to humans; and scent and memories are connected to that primitive part of our brain. But as I don't buy that (the macro-evolutionary apes-becoming-humans idea, that is; the scent-memory connection is true), I just recognize it to be true and figure out how to make it work for me. So with each place I travel outside of the States, I try to find a new scent to connect me with that location's memories. Sun-Ripened Raspberry will forever remind me of France. Cucumber Melon takes me back to my two trips to China (but is now on the permanent DL in the line-up of acceptable scents to use as my memories of China are not very good). And Sweet Pea transports me back to Honduras.

After Bath & Body Works retired Sun-Ripened Raspberry, my favorite scent from BBW became Japanese Cherry Blossom. So imagine how fortuitous I felt it was when I was hired to teach English in Japan. I didn't have to find a new scent to use during my time here. During my first month of living in this country, I smelled clean and fruity when I arrived at school, at church, and even at home at the end of the day. (C.G. always knew when I arrived to our apartment building before she did, since she could smell JCB in the elevator.) But my JCB lotion supply ended. And while my mom replenished my supply, I decided to reserve it for seasons (or days) when I'm not going to have to bathe more than once daily as a result of sticky, gross weather. So I've settled for using a scentless lotion during the week and JCB only on Sundays. As a result, I don't smell as girly when I arrive at school as I would like. In fact, I smell like a little boy who's been playing outside. And that just doesn't sit well with me.

So imagine my joy when N.P. said I could have his scooter for free (minus the cost of any repairs a two-years-unused scooter might need to become operational again). I figured the $150 investment would be well spent so that I could start driving to school. Not only would I not have an hour-long commute every day but I also wouldn't get as sweaty-nasty and require four or more hours to dry out. So after getting my scooter licensed with basic insurance on Thursday, I went for my first ride last night. It was scarily exhilarating. (Those road bumps are felt more keenly when you're in the open air.) It was freeing. (Who likes being dependent on others for rides after they've been their own chauffeur for over 10 years?) And... it was stinky. Yes, the exhaust coming out of other vehicles' tail pipes was quite foul. But I noticed that I was stinky at the end of my ride, which I had not anticipated, never having so much as sat on a motorcycle or scooter until I arrived in Japan. So once I get permission from my vice-principal to drive to school, instead of wearing eau de sweaty boy upon my arrival, I'll be wearing eau de petrol -- NOT the scent-induced-memory of me that I would have liked to leave with my students!

Until next time...

2 comments:

Mom said...

Work with a cosmetics firm - -- -"Eau de Petrol by Rebecca" might become a favorite among the biker crowd!! I can see your billboard now. :-) Move aside Liz, Jessica, Reese, Angelina . . .

You can always carry a change of clothing in the seat compartment of your scooter.

Better get yourself a gas mask if the fumes are so prevalent -- hard on the lungs.

christina joy said...

You crack me up. I love reading your posts and I always laugh. Or almost always anyway. Unless, of course, I'm reading about toilet-tasting liver and then in that case I'm concentrating on not throwing up. :-)